Sunday, September 27, 2009

Exile or Mercy? Phase II

This weekend we are supposed to argue the flip side of our personal opinion regarding the article: "Exile or Mercy for old Nazi Guards." This is kind of hard for me to do because I strongly believe that these men should have to suffer the consequences and there is no getting around that. According to Wikipedia (I know...not the best source) and as defined by the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court Explanatory Memorandum, crimes against humanity "are particularly odious offences in that they constitute a serious attack on human dignity or grave humiliation or a degradation of one or more human beings." When you do something like this, how can you not pay the consequences?

I mean, I guess that you could say that they are really old and fragile so we should just forget about it. You could say that they did not have a choice and that it was either obey or have your own life taken away. You can even say that the accusations in these three cases are not proven to be true. Who knows....maybe they could have even been set up, but still I'm not buying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment