Friday, September 18, 2009

Words by Winston Churchill

"I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this Government, I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many long months of toil and struggle.... You ask what is our policy. I will say, it is to wage war with all our might, with all the strength that God can give us, to wage war against a monstrous tyranny never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime.... You ask what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs. Victory in spite of all terror. Victory however long and hard the road may be. For without victory there is no survival."----Winston Churchill

This is an excerpt from Winston Churchill's first speech as prime minister. He gave this speech at the House of Commons on May 13,1940. World War II began in 1939, and the United Kingdom was a big part of it. After World War I, I can imagine that Churchill's audience was very skeptical about jumping into a new one. For this reason, Churchill's words come across to me as very powerful and inspiring. He lets the people know exactly what their country had to do and why it is so important for them to do so. He also gives them hope for victory without a doubt. I cannot speak for those listening to this speech that day, but I believe that I would feel more at ease and more inspired than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment