Monday, November 30, 2009

Schindler's List Scene Analysis

A couple of days ago I finally picked up the movie and watched it with my mom and sister. I can honestly say that this was one of the best movies that I have seen in a long time. That is talent when you can make people feel that they are actually inside the film rather than just watching it. There are a lot of scenes that stood out to me, but I have to say that the liquidation of the ghetto is what I remember the most. When the German soldiers came to the ghetto to round up the Jews for relocation, there was complete chaos mixed with the incredible presence of fear. Packed bags were to be left behind, valuables were swallowed, and hiding places were filled. The soldiers shot anyone that they wanted to without remorse. Knowing this, the hospital staff carefully gave its patients a drink that would let them die without suffering. As it was believed to happen, the soldiers made their way up the stairs to murder all the ill who were still alive. This part had me wondering what I would want done in that situation. As a nurse, or doctor, would I have done the same thing?

During the liquidation of the ghetto, we also see that Oskar Schindler and his mistress were portrayed to be present on top of Lasota Hill. Riding horseback, Schindler watches the enormous tragedy and focuses in on a little girl in red that wanders around in the street looking for a place to hide. I found this part to be interesting because it somewhat contradicts the reading. Currently, we do not have enough evidence to say that either Schindler or his mistress were on the hill that day. In the film, Schindler looks surprised to see the soldiers terrorizing the people of the ghetto. In the reading, we discover that Schindler was in fact well informed about the liquidation and even suggested that his workers stay on factory grounds until after it was over. As for the little girl in red, used as a "Rosebud" reference, a lot of things are unclear about her too. Interestingly, a Polish woman has claimed that she was the little girl. This is a serious contradiction considering that the little girl is burned near the end of the film.

Overall, this was an extraordinary film. Now I understand why my friend's jaw dropped when I mentioned that I had never seen it. I can also see why it is still so popular after a decade and a half. Rarely has the Holocaust felt so close and real to me. I can honestly say that some of the images from this film have made their way into my brain to stay. If watching this movie can haunt me, I cannot even imagine how the real thing still haunts the survivors. Even though not all of the facts in this film seem to be true, it still remains that many claim that they owe their lives to Oskar Schindler and that is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment